Texas Eye and Ear Infirmary, circa 1976
Founded in 1934 by Dr. Cecil Greer as the Greer Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic, and later renamed Texas Eye & Ear Infirmary in 1951, the now Harrisburg Eye Clinic has proudly served Houston for over 50 years of continuous service in the same location.
Originally a five room structure with living quarters for the then bachelor, Dr. Greer, the clinic was enlarged during World War II. Special permission was granted from the U.S. War Department because of the care which was being provided for Houston Shipbuilding Company and other war related industries. During that time, Dr. Greer lived in a house next door which became today's Optical Shop and parking lot.
Dr. Daniel E. Jenkins, III, a native of Houston, joined Dr. Greer in 1976 and shortly thereafter the clinic was completely remodeled and the latest equipment installed. Although the remodeling was extensive, the character of this community landmark was preserved.
In 2016, Richard B. Jenkins joined the clinic after receiving a M.D. from University of Texas and completing residencies in University of Maryland and Baylor College of Medicine. He plans to continue the 70+ years of service the Harrisburg Eye Clinic has provided to the community of Houston.
Today, the clinic features free parking, bilingual office personnel, expanded optical shop, reserved parking for the handicapped, and a fully equipped operating room for outpatient surgical procedures.